Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops Review & Swatches
We all know that highlighting has been THE major trend of the past few months. With thousands of different highlighters available on the market, it seems like many companies struggle to release something unique. As a consumer, it feels like every possible highlighter color and formula has already been done before, but I have to say that Cover FX has really stepped up the highlighting game.
Today we are going to be discussing the Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops. If you're familiar with the Custom Cover Drops or the Custom Infusion Drops, then you'll be quite familiar with this formula. The Custom Enhancer Drops come in six different shades, each retailing for $42 for 0.5oz of product. There are four highlighter shades and two bronzer shades. After swatching all six of the colors on my arm in Sephora, I decided to pick up the four highlighter shades.
The first thing I want to address in my review is the price tag. $42 is a very steep price point, in my opinion, especially given the amount of product you get. Don't get me wrong, I know it won't be easy finishing up these vials of highlighter before they go bad, so I don't really want more product. Instead, I would have loved to see a $30-$35 price tag on these (which I STILL think is high, but much more reasonable).
Now let's move into discussing the packaging. It is a glass vial with a dropper, very similar to the other products in the "Custom ___ Drops" line. It's fairly functional, but I would have loved to see a pump dispenser or something a little different. The only reason I want to point this out is because I am a complete klutz and have almost spilled the product multiple times during use. This probably isn't a concern for most people, but for anyone who has butterfingers (please tell me that I'm not alone here!), be extra cautious.
Putting the price tag and the overall packaging aside, I have to say that I am IN LOVE with this product! It is such a unique formula for my collection. The biggest appeal of this formula is the versatility. Many may look at it and see a typical cream highlighter, but it is so much more!
1) Because of the ultra-thin, almost watery, consistency, it can be very easily mixed into any of your liquid foundations for an all-over face glow.
2) Because of its extreme pigmentation, it works perfectly as a stand-alone highlighter. No need to top it off with a powder!
3) It dries down completely (to almost a smudge-proof finish), so it will not budge on your skin, even through the summer heat.
4) It can even be used under or over powder products (like a powder foundation). It won't bunch or cake up your powder makeup since this product is so lightweight and blendable.
5) Don't feel like you have to reserve this product strictly for facial use! Mix a few drops in with your body lotion for glowing, radiant skin.
Now onto the eye candy (a.k.a. the swatches!):
1) Celestial- Metallic, light silvered-pearl. This will be GORGEOUS on pale to medium complexions.
2) Moonlight- Metallic, light champagne. This is probably the most versatile out of the four shades, and it is definitely my favorite! This will look stunning on almost skin complexion.
3) Sunlight- Metallic, medium beige. This one is pretty similar to Moonlight, but just a tad darker. This will be stunning on medium to deep complexions.
4) Candlelight- Metallic, dark bronze. This can be used as an ultra-shimmery bronzer on most skin tones, but I've been mixing this in with my foundation. Because of the bronzy color, it doesn't lighten my foundations at all. It merely infuses them with a unique glow.
Well, there you have it! This has been one of my most reached for makeup products recently, so I knew I had to share my thoughts with you. They're pricey, so while I don't think you need all four shades, I would recommend saving up and trying one (Moonlight is the one I would most recommend!). In the meantime, head over to your local Sephora store and ask for a sample! I'm sure the lovely cast members can hook you up with some samples that can get you through a week or two (or possibly more, depending on how generous they are!). Trust me, you won't regret it! :)
xoxo Eshani a.k.a. TotalMakeupJunkie101